Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Tilly Style Tutorial : Sleeve Snips


Happy Tuesday all, and welcome back Tillystyle! <3 Amanda

Welcome back to Tilly Style Tuesday! Today, I will be posting a tutorial on how to transform those awkward sleeves to cute tank tops. Some of you may be all for sleeves, but I’m tiny so sleeves usually look really wide on my shoulders. I had a phase where I was online shopping like crazy and the top always looked amazing in the picture, but I guess there are just those times where you can’t trust online shopping accurately. I would be obsessed with the cut, the design and the color; then, I would look at the sleeves and it did nothing for me. Instead of wasting money and throwing the shirt away, I developed this bad habit of cutting sleeves off my shirts (and dresses!) I have done this multiple times and the result always comes out spectacular. I’m sure most of you have done it, but in the case that the idea didn’t cross your mind, voila!


It’s actually really easy and can be done in a few simple steps:
  • Pick a top you really like with sleeves that you aren’t crazy about. Make sure the seams are easy to cut - you don’t want to make holes that ruin the shirt.
  • Take a pair of scissors and turn the shirt inside out.
  • Make one straight cut through the middle of the sleeve so there is easy access to the seams.
  • Follow the seam with the scissors and cut all the way around – be certain that your cuts are precise.
  • Snip of the unwanted jagged edges.
  • Accessorize your outfit.
  • Go out and be fabulous!



This was a light article, but here are a few outfits where I demolished the sleeves!
I found this dress at Forever 21 and fell in love with it! It had ¾ sleeves, but the moment I tried it on, it looked awful on me. This pattern is gorgeous and I’m extremely happy I was able to transform it to something I loved.



Dress – Forever 21 (Similar)
Necklace – Gift from a friend (Similar and Similar)
Wedges – DSW (Similar)











This dress didn’t have sleeves, but there were a ton of ruffles on the front that didn’t flatter my body shape. So snip snip! I can hardly tell the difference and the magic is complete.




Dress – Rue 21 (Bought from Instagram boutique)
Necklace – Francesca’s (Similar)














Thanks again to our friends at Tillystyle  I just love the idea of getting rid of any unwanted sleeves that maybe aren't flattering, or maybe you just plain don't like! These ladies amaze me and I am looking forward to see what's in store for us next week! (You can find them here. Make sure to stop by and say hello and let them you found them through this blog).
To see more Tilly Style Tuesday posts, check out the links below:

  • Meet Thy from Tillystyle!
  • Meet Ileana (Lilly) from Tillystyle!
  • Tilly Style Tuesday: The Three Famous F-words!
  • Tilly Style Tuesdays : Twinning
  • Tilly Style Tuesdays : Trend Alert


  • As always, feel free to follow on Instagram for more frequent postings! (@Amandaplease) See you all again soon! XOXO

    2 comments:

    1. I need to remember this the next time I find a shirt or dress that I love but may have sleeves I don't like... what an easy fix!

      Jessica
      the.pyreflies.org

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Right? I never thought to actually cut along the seam, that may be why so many of my old clothes were butchered! :) :)

        Delete

    Thank you so much for reading my blog and taking the time to comment and share your thoughts with me! Stop back any time and say hello! :-)